A Review of AmazonFresh
One common question regarding a restricted driver’s license: can I drive to the grocery store? The black and white answer is: no. Does this mean you have to starve? In many areas of the United States, no. There are affordable options to get groceries without even leaving your house, such as AmazonFresh.
I decided to try out AmazonFresh, as it was available in my area. For $14.99 per month (first month free), Amazon will deliver groceries to your doorstep within a pre-selected timeframe. You don’t have to be home, and the groceries are delivered in cooler bags. However, it’s a good idea to be home soon after delivery if it’s especially hot, cold or rainy outside. The $14.99 is a flat-fee, no matter how many orders you make in a month. Note that you must be an existing Amazon Prime customer to get access to AmazonFresh. But if you’re spending a lot of time at home already, you may as well sign up for Amazon Prime (30-Day Free Trial here!) for the Amazon delivery benefits and access to Amazon movies and television shows. See below for the advantages and disadvantages of AmazonFresh.
Advantages of AmazonFresh
- You don’t have to leave your house to get groceries
- You can set up delivery timeframes – in some areas as soon as same day
- The selection of groceries is good, and only getting better after Amazon acquired Whole Foods
- Plenty of fresh produce, meat, dairy, deli options
- No delivery charge with orders over $50
- 30 refund policy for spilled or damaged items
- Packaged goods are typically cheaper than grocery stores
Disadvantages of AmazonFresh
- $9.99 service charge per delivery if total of items is less than $50
- Inability to touch or feel items before purchasing (however, in my experience all items have been fresh)
- Must also pay for Amazon Prime (however, this is worth having if you’re spending a lot of time at home anyway)
- Produce slightly more expensive than grocery stores
Personally, I have found it difficult to spend $50 on groceries, as I have a busy lifestyle with school and work. I also have access to a grocery store within walking distance of my house and workplace. However, if you are home more, and have less access to a grocery store, this might be worth it for you.
As of now, AmazonFresh is only available in select markets (Boston, Baltimore, Seattle, Stamford, Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago, New York Metro, Northern Virginia, London and parts of California and New Jersey), but has plans to expand. If you’re in a populated area, keep an eye on it.